Monday, July 4, 2005

Happy Independence Day!

Just wanted to wish a happy Independence Day to all my readers out there in America and the world. It may come as no surprise that the 4th, along with Thanksgiving, are my two favorite holidays. They both, in their own way, center on drinking, food, and public recognition of our central cultural values: fireworks and football. They are also, I increasingly realize, unique. My friends from Britain or the Netherlands have Christian holidays--Christmas, Easter, Mardi Gras. They do not have national holidays.

We're fortunate to live in a country that offers us so much: Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. These are not, I'll aver, overdetermined. They're aspirational.


Here's to dreaming big, cool fireworks, and beer! Here's to the good old USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment